Striking UK Numbers
18/10/2018 | Personal Debt Solutions
Striking Numbers – September 2018 - Every day in the UK
• The population of the UK grew by an estimated 1,074 people a day between 2016 and 2017.
• On average, a UK household spends £4.34 a day on water, electricity and gas.
• 301 people a day are declared insolvent or bankrupt, in April to June 2018. This is equivalent to one person every 4 minutes 47 seconds.
• In August 2018, cash machines were used an average of 94 times a second across the UK.
• 2,920 Consumer County Court Judgments (CCJs) are issued every day in Q2 2018, with an average value of £1,460.
• Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales dealt with 2,397 new debt problems every day during August 2018.
• 12 properties are repossessed every day in Q2 2018, or one every 2 hours.
• The number of mortgages with arrears of over 2.5% of the remaining balance fell by 19 a day.
• 946 people a day reported they had become redundant between May & July 2018.
• Net lending to individuals & Housing Associations in the UK increased by £116.5 million a day in July 2018.
• The Government debt fell by £84m a day in the year to July 2018.
• Borrowers would repay £138 million a day in interest in July 2018.
• It costs an average of £23.61 per day for a couple to raise a child from birth to the age of 18.
• 49 mortgage possession claims and 32 mortgage possession orders are made every day in April to June 2018.
• 324 landlord possession claims and 250 landlord possession orders are made every day.
Personal debt in the UK
People in the UK owed £1.5955 trillion at the end of July 2018.
The average total debt per household – including mortgages – was £58,658 in July. The revised figure for June was £58,525.
Per adult in the UK that’s an average debt of £30,636 in July – around 113.0% of average earnings -0.3% on last month. This is up from a revised £30,567 a month earlier.
Statistics source: http://www.themoneycharity.org.uk